This programme currently has two areas of focus, photonics subsystem and optoelectronic devices. The team aims to indigenously develop photonic subsystems, integrated optoelectronic devices that will be of interest to Future Systems & Technology Directorate/ Defence Science Organisation (FSTD/ DSO), and to produce them in small quantities sufficient for testing and evaluation.
- Photonics subsystem: The efforts in this field focuses on the development of sub-systems that utilise photonics to perform microwave signal processing, as well as components that can be used in the various fibre-based photonic architectures.
- Optoelectronic devices: We seek to develop and prototype photonic devices and components that inter-convert optical and electrical energy, such as ultrafast laser diodes, high power laser diodes for pumping fiber lasers, as well as photodiodes with customised specifications.
In addition, the team is also working on building devices and modules on silicon photonics, III-V compound semiconductors, lithium niobate and many other electro-optic material platforms that allow electrical and optical signals to interface with each other, such as switches, modulators and oscillators/ resonators.
Our research activities in photonics are supported by state-of-the-art nano-fabrication facilities (N2FC) which comprises of class 100 cleanroom (CR1) and class 10/100 cleanroom (CR2) in the school of Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE, NTU). The team also works closely with the MTDC team for device fabrication due to the compatibility with the commonly known semiconductor fabrication processes.
Till now, the following selected achievements has been obtained by the team.
- Ultrafast mode-locked laser diode up to 40GHz;
- High speed (> 40GHz) and high power RF Uni-Traveling-Carrier Photodiodes (UTC-PDs);
- High power laser diode up to 50W;
- Lithium Niobate modulators up to 20GHz and Lithium Niobate photonic chips;
- High Q (> 5 x 106) whispering gallery mode disk based on Lithium Niobate and Lithium Tantalate;
- Fiber-based Opto-electronic oscillator (OEO) with low phase noise at x-band.
Assoc Prof Wang Hong
Research Director (Photonics)
Director, Nanyang NanoFabrication Centre
Phone: +65 67905400
Dr Liu Chongyang
Programme Manager (Photonics)
Senior Research Scientist
Phone: +65 63162935